Barney brace helps Wingate & Finchley to bounce back and overcome Grays Athletic
Lee Barney struck twice, including an 80th-minute winner, as Wingate & Finchley bounced back from an FA Trophy defeat to beat Grays Athletic 3-2 in the Ryman League Premier Division.
The Blues fell at the first hurdle in the Trophy on Saturday with a 2-0 home defeat against Royston Town in the first qualifying round.
That left Simon Lane’s side with just one win from five games in all competitions – but they arrested that run on Tuesday night, leapfrogging Grays and moving up to eighth place in the table.
Athletic’s Bradley Fortnum-Tomlinson saw a shot tipped onto the bar before giving the away team the lead in the 16th minute, but Barney levelled nine minutes later, latching onto Karl Oliyide’s flick and sliding the ball under the keeper.
Wingate went on to take the lead before the break, with Alfie Bartram drawing the defenders with a jinking run and finding Rob Laney, who scored via the post with a fine finish from the edge of the box.
You may also want to watch:
Roman Michael-Percil made it 2-2 just before the hour-mark, but with 10 minutes left Oliyide broke to leave Wingate three on one and Barney applied the finish, while a goal-line clearance from Leon Solomon denied Grays a late leveller.
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals