Barnet Council election 2014: Labour aiming to take control from Conservatives
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Barnet Labour leader and East Finchley councillor Alison Moore is determined to wrest control of the council from the Conservatives in this week’s election.
The Labour Party has never had overall control of Barnet Council – forced to serve under Tory administrations for much of the council’s history – but Cllr Moore, 55, believes the introduction of the controversial One Barnet outsourcing scheme could spell the end of Tory rule.
She said: “The overriding message is that we believe there are significant numbers of people who have lost faith in this administration. For a litany of mismanagement, for the inability to listen and respond and for just being out of touch with residents. Therefore we do think it’s time for a change in Barnet.”
Cllr Moore pointed to “judicial review after judicial review” as an indiciation of the electorate’s discontent, referring to High Court cases brought against the council by residents in relation to parking charges and One Barnet.
Like the Tories, Cllr Moore believes there are seats up for grabs in Childs Hill.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been Liberal Democrat for several decades but I think the demography has changed,” she said. “I think we might take one or two seats.
“We are campaigning to make a majority Labour council. I think there are many people across the borough who feel let down by this council.”
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate