Barnet Council election 2014: Greens hoping for victory in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Publisher Adele Ward believes the Green Party offers realistic solutions to many of the problems faced by residents in Golders Green in their day-to-day lives.
The 56-year-old, of The Drive, Golders Green, is standing as a Green candidate for the first time.
The party has candidates standing across every ward in the borough and Ms Ward believes the the party is now becoming the third party in British politics, alongside Labour and the Conservatives.
“There is disillusionment with the larger parties for their big failures and the lie Clegg told about tuition fees,” said Ms Ward. “I think the Greens seem to be gathering their support [the disillusioned]. They are moving into that position of a third party.”
Ms Ward is concerned many of these disillusioned voters are being drawn to far-right parties such as Ukip.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “There are solutions to the things people worry about, like immigration, locally. Overcrowding in Golders Green due to immigration can be dealt with at a local level by tackling rogue landlords.
“We’ve had rogue landlords near to me and I’ve dealt with them legally and the problem stopped. If people look at the reasons they worry about immigration, they can be dealt with in a different way to voting for Ukip to leave the EU.”
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
Ms Ward, co-founder of Ward Wood Publishing, believes the Green Party is the best-placed party to solve environmental issues locally.
“When you are out on the roads in Golders Green now, you can smell the levels of pollution,” she said.
“Pollution from Tube stations is pumped out. Golders Green is a family area. This problem of air pollution really does matter.”