Barnet Council election 2014: Greens hoping for victory in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Publisher Adele Ward believes the Green Party offers realistic solutions to many of the problems faced by residents in Golders Green in their day-to-day lives.
The 56-year-old, of The Drive, Golders Green, is standing as a Green candidate for the first time.
The party has candidates standing across every ward in the borough and Ms Ward believes the the party is now becoming the third party in British politics, alongside Labour and the Conservatives.
“There is disillusionment with the larger parties for their big failures and the lie Clegg told about tuition fees,” said Ms Ward. “I think the Greens seem to be gathering their support [the disillusioned]. They are moving into that position of a third party.”
Ms Ward is concerned many of these disillusioned voters are being drawn to far-right parties such as Ukip.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “There are solutions to the things people worry about, like immigration, locally. Overcrowding in Golders Green due to immigration can be dealt with at a local level by tackling rogue landlords.
“We’ve had rogue landlords near to me and I’ve dealt with them legally and the problem stopped. If people look at the reasons they worry about immigration, they can be dealt with in a different way to voting for Ukip to leave the EU.”
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
Ms Ward, co-founder of Ward Wood Publishing, believes the Green Party is the best-placed party to solve environmental issues locally.
“When you are out on the roads in Golders Green now, you can smell the levels of pollution,” she said.
“Pollution from Tube stations is pumped out. Golders Green is a family area. This problem of air pollution really does matter.”