Barnet council chief executive leaves after polling station blunder
- Credit: Archant
The Chief Executive of Barnet council, Andrew Travers, has left his position by “mutual agreement”, officials have confirmed.
Mr Travers leaves after a blunder with the electoral registrations left many voters in Barnet unable to cast their ballot last Thursday.
All 155 polling stations in Barnet were affected and Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis and his wife Valerie were among those to be turned away from voting.
As reported in the Ham&High, London Woman’s Equality mayoral candidate Sophie Walker, made a formal complaint against Barnet Council following the fiasco.
A council spokesman said: “Following the events during the morning of Thursday’s elections, it has been decided, by mutual agreement that Andrew Travers, Chief Executive, will leave the council.
You may also want to watch:
John Hooton, Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Chief Executive, will take over in the interim.
The council has launched an independent investigation into election problems to report at the end of May.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
A Barnet Council spokesperson said: “The terms of reference will include a full review of the issues that arose last week as well as the appropriateness of the arrangements in place for the EU Referendum in June.
“We are currently in discussions to establish who will lead on the investigation.”