Barmitzvah boy Ben gives £6,000 away to good causes
A GOLDERS Green schoolboy has donated thousands of pounds given to him at his coming-of-age celebration to charity. Benjamin Bowers, 13, received almost £6,000 at his barmitzvah and has decided to give it all away to good causes. The University College Sc
A GOLDERS Green schoolboy has donated thousands of pounds given to him at his coming-of-age celebration to charity.
Benjamin Bowers, 13, received almost £6,000 at his barmitzvah and has decided to give it all away to good causes.
The University College School pupil will split his donation between British Friends of Neve Shalom Wahat al-Salam (NSWaS), which aims to resolve conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, and the UK charity Camp Simcha which helps children with cancer.
"I thought if I got presents for my barmitzvah I'd be spoilt for choice so I asked for money to be donated instead. I chose the two charities because they are both good causes and need a lot of help," he said.
You may also want to watch:
Neville Goldschneider, executive director of Camp Simcha, said: "We were so impressed, not only with Benjamin's great generosity, but he clearly thought through who exactly he wanted to help and why.
"The funds raised will make such a difference to children who need it both here and in Israel.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband