Barmitzvah boy Ben gives £6,000 away to good causes
A GOLDERS Green schoolboy has donated thousands of pounds given to him at his coming-of-age celebration to charity. Benjamin Bowers, 13, received almost £6,000 at his barmitzvah and has decided to give it all away to good causes. The University College Sc
A GOLDERS Green schoolboy has donated thousands of pounds given to him at his coming-of-age celebration to charity.
Benjamin Bowers, 13, received almost £6,000 at his barmitzvah and has decided to give it all away to good causes.
The University College School pupil will split his donation between British Friends of Neve Shalom Wahat al-Salam (NSWaS), which aims to resolve conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, and the UK charity Camp Simcha which helps children with cancer.
"I thought if I got presents for my barmitzvah I'd be spoilt for choice so I asked for money to be donated instead. I chose the two charities because they are both good causes and need a lot of help," he said.
You may also want to watch:
Neville Goldschneider, executive director of Camp Simcha, said: "We were so impressed, not only with Benjamin's great generosity, but he clearly thought through who exactly he wanted to help and why.
"The funds raised will make such a difference to children who need it both here and in Israel.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 4 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 8 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 9 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101