Barmitzvah boy Ben gives £6,000 away to good causes
A GOLDERS Green schoolboy has donated thousands of pounds given to him at his coming-of-age celebration to charity. Benjamin Bowers, 13, received almost £6,000 at his barmitzvah and has decided to give it all away to good causes. The University College Sc
A GOLDERS Green schoolboy has donated thousands of pounds given to him at his coming-of-age celebration to charity.
Benjamin Bowers, 13, received almost £6,000 at his barmitzvah and has decided to give it all away to good causes.
The University College School pupil will split his donation between British Friends of Neve Shalom Wahat al-Salam (NSWaS), which aims to resolve conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, and the UK charity Camp Simcha which helps children with cancer.
"I thought if I got presents for my barmitzvah I'd be spoilt for choice so I asked for money to be donated instead. I chose the two charities because they are both good causes and need a lot of help," he said.
You may also want to watch:
Neville Goldschneider, executive director of Camp Simcha, said: "We were so impressed, not only with Benjamin's great generosity, but he clearly thought through who exactly he wanted to help and why.
"The funds raised will make such a difference to children who need it both here and in Israel.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 6 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead