Barcelona open talks with Arsenal to sign Cesc Fabregas
BARCELONA have admitted that they are now in official talks with Arsenal over the signing of Cesc Fabregas. Arsenal s 22-year-old captain has been the subject of intense transfer scrutiny since going public with his desire to return to his first club last
BARCELONA have admitted that they are now in official talks with Arsenal over the signing of Cesc Fabregas.
Arsenal's 22-year-old captain has been the subject of intense transfer scrutiny since going public with his desire to return to his first club last month, and now it seems the deal is being discussed by the Gunners and the La Liga champions.
"An informal conversation with Arsenal became formal on 1 June and now an official approach has been made to the club," said a Barca spokesman.
"Before 1 June, under English rules, we could not make an official approach to Arsenal for Fabregas, but that changed on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
"I don't think there is a special advance on, say, the price or anything, but it has moved on now."
"Yesterday [Tuesday] we presented a concrete offer and have written to Arsenal."
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 9 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 10 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
The Spanish club's vice-president, Rafael Yuste, added: "We are hoping we can sign Cesc as soon as possible.
"I am optimistic. It is clear that he is family and we would greet his return with a warm embrace.
"For this reason we don't want to do anything that would harm his signing. We don't want to rush but neither will we stop."
Barcelona are believed to have offered �30m for the player who left the Nou Camp aged 16 in 2003, to move to north London.
In seven years at Arsenal he has played almost 250 games for the club and was appointed captain in November 2008.
He is under contract with the Gunners until 2015, but has made it clear to manager Arsene Wenger and his representatives that he wants to return to Spain, and the deal now looks likely to happen this summer.