Barcelona open talks with Arsenal to sign Cesc Fabregas
BARCELONA have admitted that they are now in official talks with Arsenal over the signing of Cesc Fabregas. Arsenal s 22-year-old captain has been the subject of intense transfer scrutiny since going public with his desire to return to his first club last
BARCELONA have admitted that they are now in official talks with Arsenal over the signing of Cesc Fabregas.
Arsenal's 22-year-old captain has been the subject of intense transfer scrutiny since going public with his desire to return to his first club last month, and now it seems the deal is being discussed by the Gunners and the La Liga champions.
"An informal conversation with Arsenal became formal on 1 June and now an official approach has been made to the club," said a Barca spokesman.
"Before 1 June, under English rules, we could not make an official approach to Arsenal for Fabregas, but that changed on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
"I don't think there is a special advance on, say, the price or anything, but it has moved on now."
"Yesterday [Tuesday] we presented a concrete offer and have written to Arsenal."
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 Hampstead and Highgate entrepreneurs to launch crime-tracking app Curbism
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
The Spanish club's vice-president, Rafael Yuste, added: "We are hoping we can sign Cesc as soon as possible.
"I am optimistic. It is clear that he is family and we would greet his return with a warm embrace.
"For this reason we don't want to do anything that would harm his signing. We don't want to rush but neither will we stop."
Barcelona are believed to have offered �30m for the player who left the Nou Camp aged 16 in 2003, to move to north London.
In seven years at Arsenal he has played almost 250 games for the club and was appointed captain in November 2008.
He is under contract with the Gunners until 2015, but has made it clear to manager Arsene Wenger and his representatives that he wants to return to Spain, and the deal now looks likely to happen this summer.