'Banksy' strikes at Primrose Hill pub
GUERILLA artist Banksy has been caught on camera painting his latest urban art installation in a Primrose Hill pub, the landlords believe. Karen and Lawrence Santi, who run the Princess of Wales pub in Chalcot Road, woke up on Tuesday morning to find thei
GUERILLA artist Banksy has been caught on camera painting his latest urban art installation in a Primrose Hill pub, the landlords believe.
Karen and Lawrence Santi, who run the Princess of Wales pub in Chalcot Road, woke up on Tuesday morning to find their garden wall had been covered with graffiti showing a windswept little girl with a balloon standing opposite a lion.
The mirror above has the words "Run For Your Lives!!!" written in bold red letters.
The landlords' initial reaction was to paint over the work until they realised it might be the work of none other than Banksy.
Mrs Santi said: "We really want someone who is an expert to give us an authoritative opinion on whether or not it is a Banksy. I love it but my husband thinks it looks crap - we disagree."
Mr Santi's sister Caroline, who lives above the pub, said that while they couldn't be 100 per cent sure if it was a genuine Banksy, the signature in the balloon string appears to be his.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
She said: "Lawrence saw it on Tuesday morning - he said to me, 'There's some graffiti down there'.
"He must've got in through the door on Monday night. We think he might have been a customer at the pub. There's no way we're going to change it - I love it."
Banksy is believed to have been caught on camera once or twice before in his career but the elusive artist always take precautions to avoid being seen - on the Princess of Wales' CCTV footage the face of the person doing the painting is largely obscured by a hooded top.