Bank holiday revellers on Hampstead Heath terrorised by masked thugs on moped
- Credit: Archant
Bank holiday revellers enjoying the sunshine on Hampstead Heath on Saturday afternoon told of their terror when masked youths on a moped sped across the crowded meadow at Kenwood.
Witnesses say it is luck that nobody was seriously injured as the bike revved down the hill speeding between sunbather and families enjoying picnics.
Miranda Watson, from Crouch End, who was lying on grass at the Cohen’s Field, near Kenwood House, at around 3pm on Saturday said: “Suddenly there was a loud revving sound an a scooter sped into the meadow and down one of the footpaths. It had two youths wearing balaclavas on it and the one on the back was sticking his finger up at people.”
“It was packed with families with kids and babies in buggies. I was scared and called the police. They didnt attack anyone or steal anything”
She said police soon arrived in a patrol car and started to pursue the moped which sped off in the direction of Athlone House. “There was a chase down the paved path, but the bike disappeared,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Witness Robert Stainforth, of Oakshott Avenue, Highgate, said: “It was a wonderful summers day with crowds of people flocking to the park, including hundreds of young children.
“Then a scooter with two people on rides at high speed right through the crowds. A few minutes later the park police arrive, unfortunately not much can be done.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
“Luckily no one was hit, injured or killed, but there is plenty of time over the summer months for this to happen. So now even the parks of London are dangerous, it is so sad.”
A Met Police spokesman said: “Police were called at about 3pm on May 5 to reports of two males on a bike at Kenwood House, in Highgate. Two males were wearing balaclavas.
“Police vehicle followed the bike but the pursuit was called offf due to the nature of the moped driving and they were riding dangerously near people.
“nobody was injured or assaulted and the moped made off and was next seen in Maitland Road, heading towards Fleet Road.”