Baby P social workers handed short suspensions
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months suspension between them, because they have been punished enough . Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council an
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months' suspension between them, because they have been "punished enough".
Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council and were among carers who made 60 visits to the family before the 17-month old died following a catalogue of abuse.
The women faced charges of misconduct in front of the General Social Care Council this week, after being sacked from Haringey and suspended for 16 months.
But panel chairman Jonathan Roberts said the pair had been punished enough and should not be stopped from being social workers in the future - Ward was suspended for a further two months and Christou for four months.
He said anything more would be "disproportionate to the facts admitted".
Peter Connelly's mother Tracey, 28, her boyfriend Steven Barker, 33, and his brother Jason Owen, 38, were all jailed last year for their involvement in his death.
- 1 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 2 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 3 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 4 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 7 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 8 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 9 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 10 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
For more, see this week's Ham&High Broadway.