Baby P social workers handed short suspensions
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months suspension between them, because they have been punished enough . Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council an
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months' suspension between them, because they have been "punished enough".
Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council and were among carers who made 60 visits to the family before the 17-month old died following a catalogue of abuse.
The women faced charges of misconduct in front of the General Social Care Council this week, after being sacked from Haringey and suspended for 16 months.
But panel chairman Jonathan Roberts said the pair had been punished enough and should not be stopped from being social workers in the future - Ward was suspended for a further two months and Christou for four months.
You may also want to watch:
He said anything more would be "disproportionate to the facts admitted".
Peter Connelly's mother Tracey, 28, her boyfriend Steven Barker, 33, and his brother Jason Owen, 38, were all jailed last year for their involvement in his death.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 9 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
For more, see this week's Ham&High Broadway.