Baby P social workers handed short suspensions
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months suspension between them, because they have been punished enough . Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council an
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months' suspension between them, because they have been "punished enough".
Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council and were among carers who made 60 visits to the family before the 17-month old died following a catalogue of abuse.
The women faced charges of misconduct in front of the General Social Care Council this week, after being sacked from Haringey and suspended for 16 months.
But panel chairman Jonathan Roberts said the pair had been punished enough and should not be stopped from being social workers in the future - Ward was suspended for a further two months and Christou for four months.
You may also want to watch:
He said anything more would be "disproportionate to the facts admitted".
Peter Connelly's mother Tracey, 28, her boyfriend Steven Barker, 33, and his brother Jason Owen, 38, were all jailed last year for their involvement in his death.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
For more, see this week's Ham&High Broadway.