Baby P social workers handed short suspensions
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months suspension between them, because they have been punished enough . Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council an
TWO social workers who admitted misconduct in relation to their care of Baby P have been handed just six months' suspension between them, because they have been "punished enough".
Maria Ward and team manager Gillian Christou worked for Haringey Council and were among carers who made 60 visits to the family before the 17-month old died following a catalogue of abuse.
The women faced charges of misconduct in front of the General Social Care Council this week, after being sacked from Haringey and suspended for 16 months.
But panel chairman Jonathan Roberts said the pair had been punished enough and should not be stopped from being social workers in the future - Ward was suspended for a further two months and Christou for four months.
You may also want to watch:
He said anything more would be "disproportionate to the facts admitted".
Peter Connelly's mother Tracey, 28, her boyfriend Steven Barker, 33, and his brother Jason Owen, 38, were all jailed last year for their involvement in his death.
- 1 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 5 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 6 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 7 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 8 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
For more, see this week's Ham&High Broadway.