Baby P scandal: call for Haringey Council leader to quit
The Liberal Democrats opposition group have tabled a motion to next Monday s Haringey full council meeting demanding resignations over the Baby P failures and the council s response to the baby s death. The motion acknowledges the swift apologies made by
The Liberal Democrats opposition group have tabled a motion to next Monday's Haringey full council meeting demanding resignations over the Baby P failures and the council's response to the baby's death.
The motion acknowledges the swift apologies made by police and local health services but regrets that it took councillors in charge 48 hours to apologise on behalf of the council for the death of Baby P following last week's court proceedings. It also accuses the council of showing a lack of responsibility for the failures of their services.
The Lib Dems have put forward the no confidence motion in the Leader of the Council, George Meehan and the Cabinet member for Children and Young people, Cllr Liz Santry.
The party is also calling for a fully independent public inquiry into the case and the state of Children's Services in Haringey to restore confidence in the protection of the most vulnerable members of our society.
You may also want to watch:
The motion welcomes the investigation by the government as 'the beginning of the process to help restore public confidence but further actions are required'.
Lynne Featherstone MP said: "The Secretary of State has said those responsible must be held accountable and yet the leader of the council has said nothing publicly. His silence has been deafening.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Parliament Hill viewpoint works delayed by nesting birds
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!