Baby monkeys arrive in time for London Zoo’s Little Creatures family festival
- Credit: Archant
These two new arrivals, born just in time for a weekend celebrating the bear who inspired Winnie the Pooh, have been given some very apt names.
The baby emperor tamarin twins, who can be seen here snuggled up to their dad, have been named Winnie and Piglet, in honour of the beloved A A Milne characters.
The names are a nod to the Little Creatures family festival, which is taking place this weekend (29-31 August), which marks 100 years since Winnie the bear arrived at London Zoo.
The festival includes events, activities and a unique exhibition featuring the Winnie books’ original illustrations - and, of course, keen-eyed visitors could also spot the new twins, who have joined the diverse tropical family in the Rainforest Life exhibit.
The twin monkeys are just five days old and are about the size and weight of a rich tea biscuit at just 15 grams.
You may also want to watch:
Zookeeper Lucy Hawley said: “It’s great to have these two new additions to London Zoo’s Rainforest Life exhibit, they may be tiny in size but it’s always a big deal to the keepers when our fantastic animals choose to breed.
“With our new tree climbing anteater, Ria, and baby two-toed sloth, our rainforest family is really flourishing at the moment in their fun and leafy home here.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
“We’re looking forward to when Winnie and Piglet grow a little bit older and start to brave bounding around the exhibit’s branches with the other monkeys, having adventures of their own.”
+ For more information about the festival, visit zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo.