Baby deaths at St Mary's spark investigation
THE deaths of two babies within three months at St Mary s Hospital s new birthing centre has sparked an internal investigation. It is alleged the tragedies occurred after equipment at the £1.4million midwife-run centre in Paddington malfunctioned. But alt
THE deaths of two babies within three months at St Mary's Hospital's new birthing centre has sparked an internal investigation.
It is alleged the tragedies occurred after equipment at the £1.4million midwife-run centre in Paddington malfunctioned.
But although one of the infants is believed to have been stillborn, the exact cause of the deaths is yet to be confirmed by the hospital.
A spokeswoman for St Mary's also stressed there had been no complaints from the two children's parents.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "Since opening in June, there have been two deaths at St Mary's birth centre. Both cases are being rigorously investigated, which is standard procedure.
No complaints have been received from the parents of the two children concerned.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
"Due to patient confidentiality we are unable to comment or provide any further details on either case."
The birthing unit, which was officially launched by the Countess of Wessex this week, has five bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms and is furnished with double beds, bean bags, birthing pools and slings.
Aimed at women on course to have natural and uncomplicated pregnancies, staff at the centre have delivered 186 babies since it opened.