Baby deaths at St Mary's spark investigation
THE deaths of two babies within three months at St Mary s Hospital s new birthing centre has sparked an internal investigation. It is alleged the tragedies occurred after equipment at the £1.4million midwife-run centre in Paddington malfunctioned. But alt
THE deaths of two babies within three months at St Mary's Hospital's new birthing centre has sparked an internal investigation.
It is alleged the tragedies occurred after equipment at the £1.4million midwife-run centre in Paddington malfunctioned.
But although one of the infants is believed to have been stillborn, the exact cause of the deaths is yet to be confirmed by the hospital.
A spokeswoman for St Mary's also stressed there had been no complaints from the two children's parents.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "Since opening in June, there have been two deaths at St Mary's birth centre. Both cases are being rigorously investigated, which is standard procedure.
No complaints have been received from the parents of the two children concerned.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 7 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 10 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
"Due to patient confidentiality we are unable to comment or provide any further details on either case."
The birthing unit, which was officially launched by the Countess of Wessex this week, has five bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms and is furnished with double beds, bean bags, birthing pools and slings.
Aimed at women on course to have natural and uncomplicated pregnancies, staff at the centre have delivered 186 babies since it opened.