AVB: New Spurs star Dembele is one of the signings of the summer
Andre Villas-Boas has hailed Mousa Dembele as one of the signings of the summer, stating that the Belgian’s versatility will be a huge asset to Tottenham this season.
Dembele completed his move across London yesterday, swapping Fulham for White Hart Lane in a �15million deal and taking the No19 shirt.
Spurs’ head coach is hugely excited by his latest addition - and he has refused to rule out further midfield signings before the transfer window closes tomorrow night.
“Mousa is obviously a player of great versatility, a player who can play in various positions,” said Villas-Boas. “He played in those different positions at Fulham, and with tremendous success in all of them - on the channels, through the middle, behind the striker.
“He’s a player with tremendous skills and talent, and we feel that it’s a good grab for us at this moment – a creative player. I think we’ve done one of the good deals in the market.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re looking forward to working with him, and obviously he’s looking forward to having success with Tottenham.”
Asked if he views Dembele as a direct replacement for the departed Luka Modric, Villas-Boas replied: “There are two days left in the market.
- 1 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 2 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 5 Tottenham Women seal extra time win over Sheffield United
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 8 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 9 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
“It depends on how we put the squad together, bearing in mind a possible change to a 4-3-3 system. We have to take that into account. We are at this moment playing with a No10 behind a striker.
“We are still thinking about possibilities within the market so we will keep assessing it. In football you never know what’s going to happen in the next hours.
“We’re happy with Mousa’s versatility and, depending on what happens, we might be looking for further additions.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs