Audrey Niffenegger's warm tribute to Jean Pateman
Jean Pateman is one of the most consistent and principled people I have ever met. When I first proposed to write a novel set around Highgate Cemetery, Mrs Pateman scrutinised me very carefully and laid down a number of limitations which I would have to ob
Jean Pateman is one of the most consistent and principled people I have ever met. When I first proposed to write a novel set around Highgate Cemetery, Mrs Pateman scrutinised me very carefully and laid down a number of limitations which I would have to observe if I were to proceed. I agreed to these rules, and they have shaped the novel.
Mrs Pateman has been extremely generous with her time and knowledge of the cemetery. I have also been treated very kindly by all of the Friends I have worked with, and I have learned a great deal from them.
I have been a volunteer guide at the cemetery since 2004. It is a privilege to be able to guide at Highgate, and I hope that when the Friends read my book they will feel that I have made good use of their hospitality.
The number of guides available is not always equal to the number of visitors, even now. I hope that my book will not cause too much disturbance.
You may also want to watch:
This is not the first Highgate Cemetery novel; Tracy Chevalier's Falling Angels is set there. Friends who were with the cemetery at the time it was published assure me that while Tracy's book did attract extra visitors, they managed.
Somehow, whatever happens, Mrs Pateman and the Friends always manage to cope in style, and I am confident that they will continue to do so.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
Chicago, Illinois, USA