Association concerned by cycling on pavements
Belsize Residents Association is also very concerned about cycling on pavements. Our members regularly tell us about experiences that have been both dangerous and frightening. This makes some people nervous about going out and has a significant impact on
Belsize Residents Association is also very concerned about cycling on pavements. Our members regularly tell us about experiences that have been both dangerous and frightening. This makes some people nervous about going out and has a significant impact on the quality of their lives.
We appreciate that it is a very small minority of cyclists who cause these problems, but believe that it is important that action is taken to make it clear that pavement cycling is illegal and unacceptable. We see this as an important part of promoting a culture of mutual respect between motorists, cyclists and pedestrians which is essential for road safety.
We are concerned that the Camden police commander has highlighted the difficulties of enforcing the law, rather than focusing on what can be done. We would like to see safer neighbourhood teams working with communities to identify trouble spots and impose fixed penalty notices.
It should be made clear that cycling on pavements is illegal and threatening to pedestrians as part of a wider awareness campaign to promote mutual respect.
You may also want to watch:
Chairwoman, Belsize Residents Association
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 8 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 9 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds