Artists paint their hero in David Bowie charity tribute
- Credit: Archant
Budding artists gathered at a Hampstead pub to pay tribute on canvas to pop legend David Bowie and to raise money for a youth music charity.
Members of the Cheese and Wine Painting Club, based at the Stag Pub, in Fleet Road, wanted to commemorate the music legend, who died in January, by making him the subject of their monthly painting night.
Freelance artist Ed Sumner, from Hampstead, runs the sessions where amateur and experienced painters can come together to recreate a famous masterpiece over wine and cheese.
Around 24 people joined in the Bowie paint-off and recreated his famous Ziggy Stardust album cover.
Mr Sumner will now auction his own piece to raise money for the charity Youth Music which runs 350 music-making projects for young people facing challenges from poverty, disabilites to health issues.
He will also donate the proceeds from the evening’s entrance fee to the charity
Mr Sumner said: “As an artist I wanted do something when Bowie died, I’m no musician so painting was obvious.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 6 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 7 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 8 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 9 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
“Then a few of the regulars at the art class that I run asked if we could paint him at the next event, so we did.
“There was a full house with a range of artists from some ‘Absolute Beginners’ to more experienced painters, with some great results.”
Stars Laura Mvula and Rizzle Kicks attended Youth Music projects before their rise to fame.
Hampstead art shop Cass Art donated materials to the evening.
Click here to for the online auctionA David Hockney painting night will be held at The Stag on March 8.