Artists paint their hero in David Bowie charity tribute
- Credit: Archant
Budding artists gathered at a Hampstead pub to pay tribute on canvas to pop legend David Bowie and to raise money for a youth music charity.
Members of the Cheese and Wine Painting Club, based at the Stag Pub, in Fleet Road, wanted to commemorate the music legend, who died in January, by making him the subject of their monthly painting night.
Freelance artist Ed Sumner, from Hampstead, runs the sessions where amateur and experienced painters can come together to recreate a famous masterpiece over wine and cheese.
Around 24 people joined in the Bowie paint-off and recreated his famous Ziggy Stardust album cover.
Mr Sumner will now auction his own piece to raise money for the charity Youth Music which runs 350 music-making projects for young people facing challenges from poverty, disabilites to health issues.
You may also want to watch:
He will also donate the proceeds from the evening’s entrance fee to the charity
Mr Sumner said: “As an artist I wanted do something when Bowie died, I’m no musician so painting was obvious.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 7 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 8 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
“Then a few of the regulars at the art class that I run asked if we could paint him at the next event, so we did.
“There was a full house with a range of artists from some ‘Absolute Beginners’ to more experienced painters, with some great results.”
Stars Laura Mvula and Rizzle Kicks attended Youth Music projects before their rise to fame.
Hampstead art shop Cass Art donated materials to the evening.
Click here to for the online auctionA David Hockney painting night will be held at The Stag on March 8.