Artists paint their hero in David Bowie charity tribute
- Credit: Archant
Budding artists gathered at a Hampstead pub to pay tribute on canvas to pop legend David Bowie and to raise money for a youth music charity.
Members of the Cheese and Wine Painting Club, based at the Stag Pub, in Fleet Road, wanted to commemorate the music legend, who died in January, by making him the subject of their monthly painting night.
Freelance artist Ed Sumner, from Hampstead, runs the sessions where amateur and experienced painters can come together to recreate a famous masterpiece over wine and cheese.
Around 24 people joined in the Bowie paint-off and recreated his famous Ziggy Stardust album cover.
Mr Sumner will now auction his own piece to raise money for the charity Youth Music which runs 350 music-making projects for young people facing challenges from poverty, disabilites to health issues.
You may also want to watch:
He will also donate the proceeds from the evening’s entrance fee to the charity
Mr Sumner said: “As an artist I wanted do something when Bowie died, I’m no musician so painting was obvious.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 6 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 9 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 10 Helen Allingham's Hampstead watercolour up for auction
“Then a few of the regulars at the art class that I run asked if we could paint him at the next event, so we did.
“There was a full house with a range of artists from some ‘Absolute Beginners’ to more experienced painters, with some great results.”
Stars Laura Mvula and Rizzle Kicks attended Youth Music projects before their rise to fame.
Hampstead art shop Cass Art donated materials to the evening.
Click here to for the online auctionA David Hockney painting night will be held at The Stag on March 8.