Art teacher’s secret crush on David Attenborough
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Isabel Langtry was appointed principal of Hampstead School of Art in April 2010. She tells Josh Pettitt about her Hampstead.
Tell us a little known secret about the area?
Hampstead School of Art, which is a historical and cultural gem that serves local children and adults of all abilities and ambitions.
If you had £100 to blow in Hampstead what would you spend it on?
I would wander in and out of the artisan shops in the village with a very large basket, then visit the Antique & Vintage shop and get an artist’s list from the Catto Gallery. I would then buy a lovely local cheese at Hampstead Community Centre, pop into the wet fish shop next door and have a cup of tea with a friend in Louis Patisserie – a perfect day.
You may also want to watch:
If you were mayor for the day what would you change about the area?
Perhaps develop a communications festival for local organisations and people.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 9 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 10 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
If you could get anyone to paint your portrait who would it be and why?
Edward Ofosu a London/Ghanaian artist who teaches digital painting. He brings great innovation to the art world. Or Vincent Milne a local portrait painter who brings great experience and skill and intuition to his work – just can’t choose between them.
If a film was made about your life, which actress would you have play you, and why?
Lillie Langtry (music hall singer and stage actress who died in 1929) because she had an amazing life story and brought that experience to life in her work. I really admire her elegance and that of the Edwardian period.
Who do you have a guilty crush on?
David Attenborough, although I find it hard to separate the attraction to him from the work he does.
If you had to write your own epitaph, what would it say?
I would have liked to carry on!