Arsenal Women suffer shock defeat in their league cup final
Arsenal Women failed in their bid to bring a second league cup trophy to North London in the space of five days. They suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to Everton, who took the lead after just seven minutes in the Women s Premier League Cup Final with a goal f
Arsenal Women failed in their bid to bring a second league cup trophy to North London in the space of five days.
They suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to Everton, who took the lead after just seven minutes in the Women's Premier League Cup Final with a goal from midfielder Amy Kane and then withstood an onslaught of Arsenal pressure.
Kelly Smith went closest to equalising with a deflected shot which came off the crossbar, but Everton were always dangerous on the break and could have added to their lead as Arsenal pushed forward.
Late in the game Anita Asante's long-range shot flashed just wide.
You may also want to watch:
The shock defeat for Vic Akers' side at Leyton Orient's ground marked the end of Arsenal's historic run of 58 successive victories in domestic competitions since their defeat by Charlton in the 2006 League Cup final.
The Arsenal Women will pick up silverware this season, however, as they are virtually uncathcable in the Premier Division.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill