Arsenal Women suffer shock defeat in their league cup final
Arsenal Women failed in their bid to bring a second league cup trophy to North London in the space of five days. They suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to Everton, who took the lead after just seven minutes in the Women s Premier League Cup Final with a goal f
Arsenal Women failed in their bid to bring a second league cup trophy to North London in the space of five days.
They suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to Everton, who took the lead after just seven minutes in the Women's Premier League Cup Final with a goal from midfielder Amy Kane and then withstood an onslaught of Arsenal pressure.
Kelly Smith went closest to equalising with a deflected shot which came off the crossbar, but Everton were always dangerous on the break and could have added to their lead as Arsenal pushed forward.
Late in the game Anita Asante's long-range shot flashed just wide.
You may also want to watch:
The shock defeat for Vic Akers' side at Leyton Orient's ground marked the end of Arsenal's historic run of 58 successive victories in domestic competitions since their defeat by Charlton in the 2006 League Cup final.
The Arsenal Women will pick up silverware this season, however, as they are virtually uncathcable in the Premier Division.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Parliament Hill viewpoint works delayed by nesting birds
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!