Arsenal title odds reduced to 'one in a billion' says Wenger
NEWCASTLE 1-3 ARSENAL BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE SATURDAY MARCH 21 Arsene Wenger said his side still have a one in a billion chance of catching leaders Manchester United after an excellent win on Tyneside continued their good form. The Gunners are now 16
NEWCASTLE 1-3 ARSENAL
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
SATURDAY MARCH 21
Arsene Wenger said his side still have a "one in a billion" chance of catching leaders Manchester United after an excellent win on Tyneside continued their good form.
You may also want to watch:
The Gunners are now 16 games unbeaten in domestic competition after their third successive league win - scoring ten times in the process.
"You never know, even in a one in a billion chance, we want to come back and fight to get as close to the team at the top," he said after hearing United and Chelsea had both lost.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 8 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 9 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 10 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
Manuel Almunia had saved a lame first-half spot-kick from Obafemi Martins before a flurry of goals after the break.
First Nicklas Bendtner headed Arsenal into a 57th minute lead before Martins immediately levelled with a fizzing drive.
Abou Diaby raced through to restore the visitors' lead five minutes later with a thumping effort and Samir Nasri confirmed the three points with a shot inside the near post. All four goals came in a nine minute spell.
Arsenal are now three points clear of Aston Villa, who were beaten 5-0 at Liverpool on Sunday, in fourth place.
Wenger says he is confident of a Champions League spot - at least.
"We feel that we are on a very good run and improving in every game," add the manager.
"This is a young side and the spirit is great... we feel we can go forward from game to game.
"The only thing that has changed from two weeks ago is that it is in our hands now. We do not have to focus too much on the results of Aston Villa. We could have been eight points behind Villa two weeks ago, so we want to keep our focus, and our performances at a high level."