Arsenal should cement third place against Coppell's struggling Royals
Arsenal should further cement their hold on third place – and Champions League football – when Reading visit The Emirates on tomorrow (12.45pm). The Royals have been sucked into the relegation scramble despite home wins over Birmingham and Manchester City
Arsenal should further cement their hold on third place - and Champions League football - when Reading visit The Emirates on tomorrow (12.45pm).
The Royals have been sucked into the relegation scramble despite home wins over Birmingham and Manchester City and an unexpected three points at Boro in the past month.
But on Saturday Fulham earned their first away win in 33 games with a 2-0 victory at the Madejski, propelling Reading closer to the danger zone.
Worryingly, it could have been more and manager Steve Coppell (pictured) looked a worried man.
You may also want to watch:
In truth, eight home wins is a decent return - but away from the M4 corridor they have been awful. That trip to the Riverside yielded their only win on the road this season - they have lost 12 of their 16 matches away from Berkshire. Last season they showed spirit in a 2-1 loss at The Emirates. Reading are now scrapping for their lives, just three points off the final relegation place with the three teams directly below them all picking up points over the weekend.
Goals, however, have not been a problem for Reading. Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt and ex- Gunner James Harper have netted five each in the league, while Spurs fan Dave Kitson needs one more to reach double figures in this campaign. But with 63 goals conceded in 34, the door is always open for their opponents.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home