Arsenal's champions league clash with Glasgow Celtic
Arsenal will face Glasgow Celtic in the third qualifying round of the Champions League this month. It is the first time Arsenal have faced the Hoops in a competitive match. The Scottish Premier League runners-up reached the last qualifying stage after ove
Arsenal will face Glasgow Celtic in the third qualifying round of the Champions League this month.
It is the first time Arsenal have faced the Hoops in a competitive match. The Scottish Premier League runners-up reached the last qualifying stage after overturning a 1-0 deficit against Dinamo Moscow to win 2-0 in the second leg in Russia - their first European away win for six years.
Charlie Nicholas, who played for both clubs, believes the games will be "sensational".
He told Sky Sports: "They seem to have been avoiding each other for the past four or five years at the group stages.
You may also want to watch:
"This will be very tight. I know Arsenal will be favourites but there is no way Celtic will give up easily.
"When Arsenal play they are unstoppable but they are vulnerable at the back - the problem for Celtic will be do they start cautiously or do they have a go?
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 3 Arsenal held by Aston Villa on final day of WSL season
- 4 Belsize cameraman remembers Jim Henson and The Muppet Show
- 5 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Graham goal gives Tottenham win at Birmingham in WSL finale
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
"It is a sensational draw for football - but for me I am absolutely stuck in the middle."
In the past three seasons the Gunners have beaten Dinamo Zagreb, Sparta Prague and FC Twente at the same stage, easily progressing to the lucrative group stages.
Arsenal will travel to Glasgow for the first leg on August 18 or 19, with the return at Emirates a week later.