Arsenal's champions league clash with Glasgow Celtic
Arsenal will face Glasgow Celtic in the third qualifying round of the Champions League this month. It is the first time Arsenal have faced the Hoops in a competitive match. The Scottish Premier League runners-up reached the last qualifying stage after ove
Arsenal will face Glasgow Celtic in the third qualifying round of the Champions League this month.
It is the first time Arsenal have faced the Hoops in a competitive match. The Scottish Premier League runners-up reached the last qualifying stage after overturning a 1-0 deficit against Dinamo Moscow to win 2-0 in the second leg in Russia - their first European away win for six years.
Charlie Nicholas, who played for both clubs, believes the games will be "sensational".
He told Sky Sports: "They seem to have been avoiding each other for the past four or five years at the group stages.
"This will be very tight. I know Arsenal will be favourites but there is no way Celtic will give up easily.
"When Arsenal play they are unstoppable but they are vulnerable at the back - the problem for Celtic will be do they start cautiously or do they have a go?
- 1 Unarmed man shot by police during prison break was ‘lawfully killed’
- 2 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 3 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 4 'Our beautiful boy': Bosco (and his big stick) dies after surgery
- 5 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 'Hostility for LGBT+ people': Mike Freer resigns from Boris Johnson's government
- 7 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 8 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 9 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 10 George Michael’s Highgate piano sells for £200,000
"It is a sensational draw for football - but for me I am absolutely stuck in the middle."
In the past three seasons the Gunners have beaten Dinamo Zagreb, Sparta Prague and FC Twente at the same stage, easily progressing to the lucrative group stages.
Arsenal will travel to Glasgow for the first leg on August 18 or 19, with the return at Emirates a week later.