ARSENAL PREVIEW: Southgate has been a thorn in Wenger's flesh
Middlesbrough v Arsenal Riverside Stadium Barclays Premier League Saturday, Kick off 12.45pm Live, Sky Sports Gareth Southgate is one Englishman who appears to have got the measure of Arsene Wenger. The Arsenal m
Middlesbrough v Arsenal
Barclays Premier League
Saturday, Kick off 12.45pm
You may also want to watch:
Live, Sky Sports
Gareth Southgate is one Englishman who appears to have got the measure of Arsene Wenger.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 4 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 5 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 7 All's Well That Ends Well – al fresco
- 8 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
The Arsenal manager has failed to get the better of the former Three Lions defender in four attempts since Southgate's shock first managerial appointment in the north-east, after making 160 appearances for the club.
The Riverside, so often an easy venue for the Gunners to pick up three points in the past when Bryan Robson and Steve McClaren were at the helm, has been a far tougher destination under Watford-born Southgate.
It is nearly four years since Robert Pires' 73rd-minute strike gave Arsenal a 1-0 win.
Last season, virtually a year to the day, goals from Stewart Downing and Tuncay Sanli gave the hosts all three points in a 2-1 victory, Tomas Rosicky netting an injury time consolation for the visitors.
The previous season, Thierry Henry's second half strike earned Arsenal a draw.
In all, Wenger has managed just one point from his last three visits to Teeside.
Both Jeremie Aliadiere and Justin Hoyte (pictured), two products of Arsenal's Academy, now ply their trade on Teeside.
While Hoyte has fitted into their back four with ease, Aliadiere has struggled this season in front of goal, netting just once in 15 league outings.
Middlesborugh have lost three of their eight league games at the Riverside this season, conceding nine goals - West Brom (0-1), Chelsea (0-5) and, most recently, to Bolton Wanderers (1-3) last month.