ARSENAL PREVIEW: Result in Portugal will see Gunners top group
Porto v Arsenal Champions League Group G Dragao Stadium, Weds Kick-off 7.45pm Arsenal must avoid defeat in Oporto on Matchday Six to finish as Group G winners. The Portuguese side sealed qualification to the knockout stages, along with the Gunners, wi
Porto v Arsenal
Champions League Group G
Dragao Stadium, Weds
Arsenal must avoid defeat in Oporto on Matchday Six to finish as Group G winners.
The Portuguese side sealed qualification to the knockout stages, along with the Gunners, with a 2-1 win at Fenerbahce last week courtesy of a double strike from Lisandro (pictured).
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 4 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 5 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 6 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 7 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 8 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 9 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 10 Man wanted after serious assault in Sussex 'may live in Camden'
And their ambition is there for all to see. Argentina midfielder Tomas Costa said after that victory in Istanbul: "At the start of the season we set ourselves the target of winning the Champions League trophy.
"By reaching the next round we took a first step towards this. Now we will try to qualify as group winners."
But the two-times European champions have shown their Estádio do Dragão home is far from a fortress. After beating the Turks 3-1 on Matchday One, they then slipped to a shock 0-1 reverse to whipping boys Dynamo Kyiv last month.
Arsenal's most impressive performance in the competition came against Jesualdo Ferreira's men in September when Robin van Persie and Emmanuel Adebayor bagged a brace apiece in an excellent 4-0 win at The Emirates.
And there is a touch of déjà vu about this fixture - Arsenal ground out a 0-0 draw at the same venue exactly two years ago on Matchday Six to finish top of their group.