Arsenal memories....France 0 Arsenal 2! 1989
This week in…1989 Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly. Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson s sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves
This week in...1989
Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly.
Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson's sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves, set up the second when he crossed for Alan Smith to deftly head past France goalkeeper Joel Bats.
A charitable George Graham said: "France are still bedding down, whereas my players have been operating as a team for maybe two years now."
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein added: "This was a platform for a speedy return to continental football and a chance to judge how our side has matured against European opposition.''
Platini was impressed with the English: "David Rocastle and Brian Marwood are exceptionally good, technical players.
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 3 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 4 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 5 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 6 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 7 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 8 How the battle for Hampstead Heath inspired the National Trust
- 9 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 10 Fire brigade extinguish St Pancras station electrical fire