Arsenal memories....France 0 Arsenal 2! 1989
This week in…1989 Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly. Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson s sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves
This week in...1989
Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly.
Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson's sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves, set up the second when he crossed for Alan Smith to deftly head past France goalkeeper Joel Bats.
A charitable George Graham said: "France are still bedding down, whereas my players have been operating as a team for maybe two years now."
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein added: "This was a platform for a speedy return to continental football and a chance to judge how our side has matured against European opposition.''
Platini was impressed with the English: "David Rocastle and Brian Marwood are exceptionally good, technical players.
- 1 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 2 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 5 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 6 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 7 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 8 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 9 West Hampstead community backs Nazanin 2,000 days since imprisonment
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago