Arsenal memories....France 0 Arsenal 2! 1989
This week in…1989 Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly. Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson s sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves
This week in...1989
Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly.
Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson's sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves, set up the second when he crossed for Alan Smith to deftly head past France goalkeeper Joel Bats.
A charitable George Graham said: "France are still bedding down, whereas my players have been operating as a team for maybe two years now."
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein added: "This was a platform for a speedy return to continental football and a chance to judge how our side has matured against European opposition.''
Platini was impressed with the English: "David Rocastle and Brian Marwood are exceptionally good, technical players.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 6 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 9 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 10 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash