Arsenal memories....France 0 Arsenal 2! 1989
This week in…1989 Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly. Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson s sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves
This week in...1989
Arsenal beat Michel Platini's France side 2-0 at Highbury in a friendly.
Substitute Martin Hayes, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes, pounced on Paul Merson's sliced shot to give Arsenal the lead and another sub, Perry Groves, set up the second when he crossed for Alan Smith to deftly head past France goalkeeper Joel Bats.
A charitable George Graham said: "France are still bedding down, whereas my players have been operating as a team for maybe two years now."
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein added: "This was a platform for a speedy return to continental football and a chance to judge how our side has matured against European opposition.''
Platini was impressed with the English: "David Rocastle and Brian Marwood are exceptionally good, technical players.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour