Arsenal memories: FA set Wembley date for derby semi-final
This week in….1991 The FA confirmed Arsenal's FA Cup clash with Spurs would be played at Wembley – the first time the national stadium had ever hosted a semi final. We saw no merit in sending people up the motorway again when Wembley could stage the even
This week in....1991
The FA confirmed Arsenal's FA Cup clash with Spurs would be played at Wembley - the first time the national stadium had ever hosted a semi final.
"We saw no merit in sending people up the motorway again when Wembley could stage the event comfortably," said an FA spokesman.
The Gunners made it through after struggling to beat third division Cambridge 2-1 at Highbury.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin Campbell fired Arsenal ahead after 20 minutes but the U's levelled through Dion Dublin. Tony Adams made it 2-1 on the hour mark but Dublin spurned two great chances late on to force a replay.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour