Arsenal memories: 1988
This week in….1988: George Graham claimed Arsenal s 1-1 Littlewoods Cup draw at Liverpool was their finest performance since he arrived as manager two-and-a-half years ago. David Rocastle fired a stunning second half equaliser - cancelling out John Barnes
This week in....1988:
George Graham claimed Arsenal's 1-1 Littlewoods Cup draw at Liverpool was their finest performance since he arrived as manager two-and-a-half years ago.
David Rocastle fired a stunning second half equaliser - cancelling out John Barnes' opener - as the Gunners dominated much of the tie.
"We are getting closer to Liverpool's standards," said Graham. "We created a lot of chances. It is not often that Liverpool's goalkeeper is outstanding - all we lacked was the end product."
You may also want to watch:
Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish admitted: "If we can reach their standards I'll be happy. They were the better side. If you were an Arsenal punter you'd be disappointed with the draw.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 8 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 9 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 10 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens