Arsenal memories: 1996
This year in….1996 Arsene Wenger described Ian Wright as the most efficient striker I have ever seen after he netted twice in a 5-2 Coca-Cola Cup win over Stoke City at Highbury. Wright s double made it 15 for the season and put him within 19 goals of C
This year in....1996
Arsene Wenger described Ian Wright as "the most efficient striker I have ever seen" after he netted twice in a 5-2 Coca-Cola Cup win over Stoke City at Highbury.
Wright's double made it 15 for the season and put him within 19 goals of Cliff Bastin's all-time club record of 179.
"He has great anticipation, moves and turns quickly. Ian just loves scoring," said Wenger. "As a goalscorer I haven't seen anyone better in 25 years in the game. As a manager I have never had a better player. He is obsessed with scoring."
You may also want to watch:
David Platt, Dennis Bergkamp and Paul Merson completed the scoring.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 4 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 5 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 7 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 8 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council