Arsenal memories: 1996
This year in….1996 Arsene Wenger described Ian Wright as the most efficient striker I have ever seen after he netted twice in a 5-2 Coca-Cola Cup win over Stoke City at Highbury. Wright s double made it 15 for the season and put him within 19 goals of C
This year in....1996
Arsene Wenger described Ian Wright as "the most efficient striker I have ever seen" after he netted twice in a 5-2 Coca-Cola Cup win over Stoke City at Highbury.
Wright's double made it 15 for the season and put him within 19 goals of Cliff Bastin's all-time club record of 179.
"He has great anticipation, moves and turns quickly. Ian just loves scoring," said Wenger. "As a goalscorer I haven't seen anyone better in 25 years in the game. As a manager I have never had a better player. He is obsessed with scoring."
You may also want to watch:
David Platt, Dennis Bergkamp and Paul Merson completed the scoring.
- 1 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 2 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 4 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 5 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 6 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 7 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 8 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 9 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 10 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business