This week in….1988 David O Leary set a deadline of the end of the year to regain his place in the first team - or else he d quit the club for a move abroad. The Eire defender, who lost his place to Steve Bould in the side, said: At the end of the day res
This week in....1988
David O'Leary set a deadline of the end of the year to regain his place in the first team - or else he'd quit the club for a move abroad.
The Eire defender, who lost his place to Steve Bould in the side, said: "At the end of the day reserve team football is no good for me.
"I have given it two months; I still don't agree with the manager about being left out although I accept that I can not expect to be in the team at the moment.'
"I have one dream left in football, to win the League championship title with Arsenal. I have two and a half years left of a very good contract and I think I can play until I'm 35,'' he said.
"I wouldn't like to play for any other club in England, but I wouldn't mind going abroad.''.
- 1 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Two more charged in connection with Olsi Kuka killing in Barnet
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 5 Gold and silver for a Platinum Jubilee party
- 6 Home of the week: Hampstead flat with garden for £1.25m
- 7 Royal beacon in Golders Hill shines light for Queen
- 8 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 9 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 10 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
His words didn't help: he was on the bench as Arsenal lost 1-2 to Liverpool in a Littlewoods Cup second replay at Villa Park.