This year in….1983 Under-fire Gunners boss Terry Neill - whose side were just humiliated 2-1 at home by third division Walsall in the Milk Cup - paid �500,000 for Manchester City defender Tommy Caton Neill described the England Under-21 star as the best
This year in....1983
Under-fire Gunners boss Terry Neill - whose side were just humiliated 1-2 at home by third division Walsall in the Milk Cup - paid �500,000 for Manchester City defender Tommy Caton
Neill described the England Under-21 star as "the best young central defender in England" and Caton was pleased with the move: "I knew nothing of Arsenal's interest until I read the papers.
"But Terry and Don Howe convinced me I'm signing for an ambitious club - I'm delighted to be here."
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile Neill has sympathy with Arsenal's disgruntled fans - hundreds of whom called for his sacking after the Walsall game.
"I feel a deep hurt. I can understand the crowd's frsutration and I share it. I accept my share of the responsibility - the players must be man enough to do likewise.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 Helen Allingham's Hampstead watercolour up for auction