Arsenal memories: 1989
This week in 1989….. George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side s winning run to seven. The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City – the league s lead
This week in 1989.....
George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side's winning run to seven.
The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City - the league's leading scorers, who recently thrashed neighbours United 5-1 - into the ground, with Michael Thomas and Paul Merson also netting in a comprehensive win for the champions.
"He looked very, very hungry out there,'' said manager George Graham. "His first touch sometimes lets him down; he even fell over the ball a couple of times, but his determination to chase lost causes set us up for the afternoon.''
You may also want to watch:
On the overall team display, the manager added: "It was our best of the season - but only in spasms. We could have had eight.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 5 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 6 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 9 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre