Arsenal memories: 1989
This week in 1989….. George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side s winning run to seven. The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City – the league s lead
This week in 1989.....
George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side's winning run to seven.
The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City - the league's leading scorers, who recently thrashed neighbours United 5-1 - into the ground, with Michael Thomas and Paul Merson also netting in a comprehensive win for the champions.
"He looked very, very hungry out there,'' said manager George Graham. "His first touch sometimes lets him down; he even fell over the ball a couple of times, but his determination to chase lost causes set us up for the afternoon.''
You may also want to watch:
On the overall team display, the manager added: "It was our best of the season - but only in spasms. We could have had eight.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 7 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue