Arsenal memories: 1989
This week in 1989….. George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side s winning run to seven. The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City – the league s lead
This week in 1989.....
George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side's winning run to seven.
The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City - the league's leading scorers, who recently thrashed neighbours United 5-1 - into the ground, with Michael Thomas and Paul Merson also netting in a comprehensive win for the champions.
"He looked very, very hungry out there,'' said manager George Graham. "His first touch sometimes lets him down; he even fell over the ball a couple of times, but his determination to chase lost causes set us up for the afternoon.''
You may also want to watch:
On the overall team display, the manager added: "It was our best of the season - but only in spasms. We could have had eight.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 6 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 7 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 8 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change