Arsenal memories: 1989
This week in 1989….. George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side s winning run to seven. The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City – the league s lead
This week in 1989.....
George Graham hailed two-goal Perry Groves after a 4-0 Highbury victory over Manchester City stretched his side's winning run to seven.
The much-maligned striker earned the man of the match award after running City - the league's leading scorers, who recently thrashed neighbours United 5-1 - into the ground, with Michael Thomas and Paul Merson also netting in a comprehensive win for the champions.
"He looked very, very hungry out there,'' said manager George Graham. "His first touch sometimes lets him down; he even fell over the ball a couple of times, but his determination to chase lost causes set us up for the afternoon.''
You may also want to watch:
On the overall team display, the manager added: "It was our best of the season - but only in spasms. We could have had eight.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate