Arsenal memories - 1990
This week in….1990 The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners 1-0 win at Old Trafford. Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking poin
This week in....1990
The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners' 1-0 win at Old Trafford.
Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking point was when 21 players clashed in an ill-tempered clash. Only David Seaman stayed out of the fracas.
Arsenal immediately fined five players - and manager George Graham - two weeks wages while the FA says it will consider docking points as a punishment at a later date. Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: "The name of Arsenal has been sullied and that is why I have taken this action.
You may also want to watch:
"It is not the tradition of this club to have a bad reputation and I hope it will not recur. The win at United was extremely exciting and well played - but it was spoiled by one moment of madness."
Graham responded: "The fine does not really surprise me. I accept the responsibility. It is something I am not proud of.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate