Arsenal memories - 1990
This week in….1990 The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners 1-0 win at Old Trafford. Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking poin
This week in....1990
The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners' 1-0 win at Old Trafford.
Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking point was when 21 players clashed in an ill-tempered clash. Only David Seaman stayed out of the fracas.
Arsenal immediately fined five players - and manager George Graham - two weeks wages while the FA says it will consider docking points as a punishment at a later date. Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: "The name of Arsenal has been sullied and that is why I have taken this action.
You may also want to watch:
"It is not the tradition of this club to have a bad reputation and I hope it will not recur. The win at United was extremely exciting and well played - but it was spoiled by one moment of madness."
Graham responded: "The fine does not really surprise me. I accept the responsibility. It is something I am not proud of.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 5 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 6 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 7 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17