Arsenal memories - 1990
This week in….1990 The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners 1-0 win at Old Trafford. Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking poin
This week in....1990
The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners' 1-0 win at Old Trafford.
Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking point was when 21 players clashed in an ill-tempered clash. Only David Seaman stayed out of the fracas.
Arsenal immediately fined five players - and manager George Graham - two weeks wages while the FA says it will consider docking points as a punishment at a later date. Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: "The name of Arsenal has been sullied and that is why I have taken this action.
You may also want to watch:
"It is not the tradition of this club to have a bad reputation and I hope it will not recur. The win at United was extremely exciting and well played - but it was spoiled by one moment of madness."
Graham responded: "The fine does not really surprise me. I accept the responsibility. It is something I am not proud of.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 5 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'