Arsenal memories - 1990
This week in….1990 The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners 1-0 win at Old Trafford. Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking poin
This week in....1990
The FA charge Arsenal and Manchester United with bringing the game into disrepute after a mass brawl in the Gunners' 1-0 win at Old Trafford.
Anders Limpar scored the only goal of the game just before the break but the real talking point was when 21 players clashed in an ill-tempered clash. Only David Seaman stayed out of the fracas.
Arsenal immediately fined five players - and manager George Graham - two weeks wages while the FA says it will consider docking points as a punishment at a later date. Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: "The name of Arsenal has been sullied and that is why I have taken this action.
You may also want to watch:
"It is not the tradition of this club to have a bad reputation and I hope it will not recur. The win at United was extremely exciting and well played - but it was spoiled by one moment of madness."
Graham responded: "The fine does not really surprise me. I accept the responsibility. It is something I am not proud of.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres