Arsenal memories: 2001 - Adams announces retirement plans
This week in…. 2001 Tony Adams announced he would retire in 12 months time. Speaking after a 2-1 home win over Leeds, the Gunners skipper - 17 years at Arsenal man and boy - said: I ve no specific plans for when it s all over for me. I ll just have to wa
This week in.... 2001
Tony Adams announced he would retire in 12 months time.
Speaking after a 2-1 home win over Leeds, the Gunners skipper - 17 years at Arsenal man and boy - said: 'I've no specific plans for when it's all over for me. I'll just have to wait and see what's put on the table.
"I have given a lot of time and effort to this football club. Maybe it will mean more time for me and for my family.
You may also want to watch:
"But, I believe I still offer a lot to the other players - my experience, a little word in their ear, that kind of thing. I'm different from the captain of 10 years ago. I am better. Hopefully, I've brought dignity to the role. I try to treat people with respect.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 10 'The flood took everything': Maida Vale family watched floods destroy home