ARSENAL MATCH SPY: Special 27 minutes from Fabregas destroys Villa
Cesc Fabregas s 27 minute cameo destroyed Villa as the Spanish sub lit up Emirates with an inspirational display. The captain, on the bench as he recovers from a hamstring injury, was thrown on to replace the ineffectual Denilson early in the second half
Cesc Fabregas's 27 minute cameo destroyed Villa as the Spanish sub lit up Emirates with an inspirational display.
The captain, on the bench as he recovers from a hamstring injury, was thrown on to replace the ineffectual Denilson early in the second half as Arsenal struggled to break down a dogged Villa side.
But Fabregas drove his side on and fired them ahead with a wonderful curling free kick and then added a second when he neatly finished off a devastating counter attack.
Fabregas limped off with six minutes remaining but by then the damage was done - and his manager was impressed.
I have not seen many performances like that," said Arsene Wenger.
"I believe Cesc got up for it from the outside. He saw that we did dominate the game but we couldn't score. You feel he was super-focused when he came on."
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 3 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 4 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 5 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 6 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 7 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 8 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 9 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: 'An astonishing choral display'
Abou Diaby added gloss with a superb individual effort in added time to make it 13 points out of a possible 15 since that home defeat to Chelsea on 29 November.
"It is a massive result for the team," added Wenger. "When you look where we were a few weeks ago, credit to the team, they didn't give up when everybody wrote us off.
"We kept going and that shows that the team has shown mental strength.
"This team is talented, is hungry, has a great spirit - however, we have not won anything yet.