ARSENAL IN 2009: Arshavin arrives with goals galore, Adebayor becomes City slicker
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years. 2009: Russian Andrey Arshavin finally signs for the club in February – and stuns English football with all four goals in a 4-4 draw at Liverpool. I will get better next season, he promises. Arsenal rem
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years.
Russian Andrey Arshavin finally signs for the club in February - and stuns English football with all four goals in a 4-4 draw at Liverpool.
"I will get better next season," he promises.
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal remained unbeaten in the league until a horror May shattered their season.
Manchester United were 4-1 aggregate winners in the Champions League semi-final.
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 3 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 4 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 8 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Ally Pally and Highgate's abandoned station star in new children's book
After a 3-1 home loss in the second leg, defender Kolo Toure said: "We were unlucky we played against one of the best teams in Europe."
Arsenal's 21-game unbeaten league run - without injured skipper Cesc Fabregas - ended in the next game as Chelsea won 4-1 at Emirates - the biggest defeat at the new stadium.
On a brighter note, Arsenal won their third FA Youth Cup of the decade with a 6-2 aggregate win over Liverpool.
Boo-boy target Emmanuel Adebayor vowed to stay - and promptly left for Manchester City alongside Toure for a combined fee of �41million.
Stan Kroenke upped his stake in the club to 29.9 per cent while Alisher Usmanov also snapped up shares to own more than a quarter of the club as the ownership issue promised to come to a head in 2010.