ARSENAL IN 2008: Wenger's worst year on field and off
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years. 2008: Possibly Arsene Wenger s worst year at the club. Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup. Disagreements are part of
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years.
Possibly Arsene Wenger's worst year at the club.
Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup.
You may also want to watch:
"Disagreements are part of the game," offers a meek Wenger, "we will deal with it internally."
In February, Eduardo suffered a sickening leg break as Arsenal drew 2-2 at Birmingham. His teammates looked visibly shocked and despite going six points clear at the top, their season would unravel as Man Utd and Chelsea overtook them.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
In the Champions League, Arsenal won 2-0 at AC Milan but later crashed out at Liverpool.
The fans' frustrations come to a head at the club's AGM when chairman Peter Hill-Wood is forced to defend Wenger's recent record.
In November William Gallas is stripped of the captaincy after publicly criticising his teammates.
"William took all the team's problems to his heart... it wasn't working as a captain," said Wenger, who named Cesc Fabregas as his successor.