ARSENAL IN 2008: Wenger's worst year on field and off
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years. 2008: Possibly Arsene Wenger s worst year at the club. Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup. Disagreements are part of
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years.
Possibly Arsene Wenger's worst year at the club.
Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup.
You may also want to watch:
"Disagreements are part of the game," offers a meek Wenger, "we will deal with it internally."
In February, Eduardo suffered a sickening leg break as Arsenal drew 2-2 at Birmingham. His teammates looked visibly shocked and despite going six points clear at the top, their season would unravel as Man Utd and Chelsea overtook them.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
In the Champions League, Arsenal won 2-0 at AC Milan but later crashed out at Liverpool.
The fans' frustrations come to a head at the club's AGM when chairman Peter Hill-Wood is forced to defend Wenger's recent record.
In November William Gallas is stripped of the captaincy after publicly criticising his teammates.
"William took all the team's problems to his heart... it wasn't working as a captain," said Wenger, who named Cesc Fabregas as his successor.