ARSENAL IN 2008: Wenger's worst year on field and off
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years. 2008: Possibly Arsene Wenger s worst year at the club. Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup. Disagreements are part of
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years.
Possibly Arsene Wenger's worst year at the club.
Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup.
You may also want to watch:
"Disagreements are part of the game," offers a meek Wenger, "we will deal with it internally."
In February, Eduardo suffered a sickening leg break as Arsenal drew 2-2 at Birmingham. His teammates looked visibly shocked and despite going six points clear at the top, their season would unravel as Man Utd and Chelsea overtook them.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 4 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 5 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
In the Champions League, Arsenal won 2-0 at AC Milan but later crashed out at Liverpool.
The fans' frustrations come to a head at the club's AGM when chairman Peter Hill-Wood is forced to defend Wenger's recent record.
In November William Gallas is stripped of the captaincy after publicly criticising his teammates.
"William took all the team's problems to his heart... it wasn't working as a captain," said Wenger, who named Cesc Fabregas as his successor.