ARSENAL IN 2008: Wenger's worst year on field and off
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years. 2008: Possibly Arsene Wenger s worst year at the club. Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup. Disagreements are part of
Jem Maidment looks back on an eventful ten years.
Possibly Arsene Wenger's worst year at the club.
Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor fight on the pitch as Arsenal are humiliated 5-1 at Tottenham in the Carling Cup.
"Disagreements are part of the game," offers a meek Wenger, "we will deal with it internally."
In February, Eduardo suffered a sickening leg break as Arsenal drew 2-2 at Birmingham. His teammates looked visibly shocked and despite going six points clear at the top, their season would unravel as Man Utd and Chelsea overtook them.
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 3 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 4 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 5 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 6 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 9 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 10 Hampstead to welcome boho women's lifestyle brand Free People
In the Champions League, Arsenal won 2-0 at AC Milan but later crashed out at Liverpool.
The fans' frustrations come to a head at the club's AGM when chairman Peter Hill-Wood is forced to defend Wenger's recent record.
In November William Gallas is stripped of the captaincy after publicly criticising his teammates.
"William took all the team's problems to his heart... it wasn't working as a captain," said Wenger, who named Cesc Fabregas as his successor.