Arsenal fan gets three-year ban for attack on Villa supporter
An Arsenal fan who threw a visiting Aston Villa supporter down steps at The Emirates Stadium has been banned from football for three years and given a suspended jail term. David Knight was given a 51-week suspended sentence, banned from attending footbal
An Arsenal fan who threw a visiting Aston Villa supporter down steps at The Emirates Stadium has been banned from football for three years and given a suspended jail term.
David Knight was given a 51-week suspended sentence, banned from attending football matches for three years, ordered to do 40 hours community service and told to pay �15,000 to the victim.
Knight had pleaded guilty to a charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm at an earlier hearing.
The case relates to an incident on 1 March, 2008 at the Emirates Stadium where Arsenal were playing Aston Villa.
You may also want to watch:
The victim was an away fan sitting among Arsenal season ticket holders. When Aston Villa scored the fan jumped up to celebrate and at this point David Knight grabbed hold of him, lifted him off the floor and pushed him down the concrete steps.
CPS lawyer Abiodun Kadri said:
- 1 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke
"The victim lost consciousness when he hit the ground and suffered what doctors described as a significant head injury.
"He may have been sitting among the home supporters but that was no reason for him to be physically assaulted in this manner.
"Violence like this at football games won't be tolerated."