Armed thief strikes at off-licence
AN armed thief left empty handed after attempting to hold-up a newly opened off-licence. The former Threshers store at the junction of Elgin Avenue and Shirland Road, Maida Vale, was targeted on Tuesday just after 9.30pm. The male suspect entered the shop
AN armed thief left empty handed after attempting to hold-up a newly opened off-licence.
The former Threshers store at the junction of Elgin Avenue and Shirland Road, Maida Vale, was targeted on Tuesday just after 9.30pm.
The male suspect entered the shop - which was recently taken over by a private owner after the collapse of the Threshers chain - and showed the member of staff what appeared to be the barrel of a firearm, hidden inside a bag.
The member of staff fled into the rear of the store, at which point the suspect also ran out, empty handed.
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "We just saw a guy going into the shop and then not long after, he came running out very quickly.
"It was very quick - we didn't think anything was wrong, until after, when we saw the police cars."
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
No shots were fired and there were no injuries, but police say the off-licence worker was considerably shaken.
A police spokesman said the surrounding streets were searched but the suspect, and the firearm, had vanished.
A full forensic examination of the off-licence took place and the store was open for regular business the following morning.