Man cautioned for having meat cleaver in West Hampstead after armed police realise he had it for ‘genuine reasons’
- Credit: Archant
Armed officers arrested man yesterday evening at West Hampstead Thameslink station for having a meat cleaver, before realising he had it for “genuine reasons.”
The British Transport Police’s firearms unit stormed the platforms shortly after 4pm yesterday and arrested the 41-year-old. A member of the public at the station had called police after seeing the knife in his pocket.
A dog unit also attended the incident just before rush-hour.
After being interviewed by police officers, it became clear the man, from St Albans, had the knife for “genuine reasons,” according to British Transport Police. He was cautioned and then released.
The man is not thought to be a butcher.
You may also want to watch:
A British Transport Police spokesperson said: “Following further enquiries, it was determined the man had been intending to use the meat cleaver for genuine purposes.
“He has received a police caution and some words of advice.”
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town