Man cautioned for having meat cleaver in West Hampstead after armed police realise he had it for ‘genuine reasons’
- Credit: Archant
Armed officers arrested man yesterday evening at West Hampstead Thameslink station for having a meat cleaver, before realising he had it for “genuine reasons.”
The British Transport Police’s firearms unit stormed the platforms shortly after 4pm yesterday and arrested the 41-year-old. A member of the public at the station had called police after seeing the knife in his pocket.
A dog unit also attended the incident just before rush-hour.
After being interviewed by police officers, it became clear the man, from St Albans, had the knife for “genuine reasons,” according to British Transport Police. He was cautioned and then released.
The man is not thought to be a butcher.
You may also want to watch:
A British Transport Police spokesperson said: “Following further enquiries, it was determined the man had been intending to use the meat cleaver for genuine purposes.
“He has received a police caution and some words of advice.”
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate