Arizona councillor controversy has been talk of the town
It is not often that you hear local politics being spontaneously discussed in local pubs and shops, but this weekend people around here really are discussing Lib Dem Cllr Philip Thomson s secret move to Arizona with amazement and outrage. They find it in
It is not often that you hear local politics being spontaneously discussed in local pubs and shops, but this weekend people around here really are discussing Lib Dem Cllr Philip Thomson's secret move to Arizona with amazement and outrage.
They find it incredible that he really thought he could continue to serve local residents by email and claim the full councillor's allowance, and that he only changed his mind and resigned after a media outcry.
When I was a Conservative councillor in Belsize I realised you simply can't do everything by email - I often took my damp-detecting meter and other testing equipment with me when I visited constituents, especially those in council homes or other social housing.
Philip Thomson of course is very young, he's made an error of judgement and has now rectified that by resigning.
You may also want to watch:
What is much more concerning is the way Camden's senior Lib Dems backed his attempt to hang on, presumably because they didn't want to fight a by-election.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 6 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
Chamberlain Street, NW1