Arizona councillor controversy has been talk of the town
It is not often that you hear local politics being spontaneously discussed in local pubs and shops, but this weekend people around here really are discussing Lib Dem Cllr Philip Thomson s secret move to Arizona with amazement and outrage. They find it in
It is not often that you hear local politics being spontaneously discussed in local pubs and shops, but this weekend people around here really are discussing Lib Dem Cllr Philip Thomson's secret move to Arizona with amazement and outrage.
They find it incredible that he really thought he could continue to serve local residents by email and claim the full councillor's allowance, and that he only changed his mind and resigned after a media outcry.
When I was a Conservative councillor in Belsize I realised you simply can't do everything by email - I often took my damp-detecting meter and other testing equipment with me when I visited constituents, especially those in council homes or other social housing.
Philip Thomson of course is very young, he's made an error of judgement and has now rectified that by resigning.
You may also want to watch:
What is much more concerning is the way Camden's senior Lib Dems backed his attempt to hang on, presumably because they didn't want to fight a by-election.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 8 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
Chamberlain Street, NW1