Apple and Vanilla pickle
Makes 2 jars , 20 mins preparation, 1 hour cooking
150g caster sugar
300ml cider vinegar
1 Onion, finely chopped
You may also want to watch:
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
6 Granny Smith apples
- 1 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 4 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 5 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 6 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 7 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 8 Theatre review: Crouch End and Upminster collide in modern love story
- 9 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
80g golden raisins
Sterilised jars (approx 454g size)
1, in a heavy-bottomed pan, dissolve the sugar in the cider vinegar, bring to a simmer, then add the chopped onion and split vanilla pod.
2, Simmer gently while you peel, core and dice the apples into 1cm pieces
3, Using a whisk, disperse the vanilla seeds from the pod. Then add the chopped apple and raisons and simmer gently for a further 40 minutes.
4, Remove the vanilla pod and pour the pickle into sterilised jars. Keep in a cool place until you need it, for up to 2-3 months