Apple and Vanilla pickle
Makes 2 jars , 20 mins preparation, 1 hour cooking
150g caster sugar
300ml cider vinegar
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
6 Granny Smith apples
- 1 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 2 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 3 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 4 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 5 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 6 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 7 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 8 New Camden real-time pollution sensors show 'unhealthy' borough air
- 9 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 10 Golders Green school hosts reunion ahead of closure
80g golden raisins
Sterilised jars (approx 454g size)
1, in a heavy-bottomed pan, dissolve the sugar in the cider vinegar, bring to a simmer, then add the chopped onion and split vanilla pod.
2, Simmer gently while you peel, core and dice the apples into 1cm pieces
3, Using a whisk, disperse the vanilla seeds from the pod. Then add the chopped apple and raisons and simmer gently for a further 40 minutes.
4, Remove the vanilla pod and pour the pickle into sterilised jars. Keep in a cool place until you need it, for up to 2-3 months