Police appeal for witnesses after toddler hit by car and killed in East Finchley last night
- Credit: Archant
A three-year-old boy has died after being hit by a car in East Finchley last night.
The toddler was hit by a Toyota Rav4 in East End Road, near the Five Bells pub, shortly after 7pm.
Police, paramedics and the London Air Ambulance were called following reports of a collision between a car and a small child.
He was taken to hospital by ambulance, but was pronounced dead shortly after arriving. His next of kin have been informed.
The driver of the car stopped at the scene, and has not been arrested.
You may also want to watch:
One woman, who said her aunt had tried to give the child first aid before the ambulance arrived, said: "To everyone inside the pub, it sounded like a gunshot."
A member of staff at the Five Bells confirmed the collision had happened outside.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 8 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 9 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 10 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
The road was closed for hours between Church Lane and the East Finchley High Road, diverting traffic and buses.
Police officers are now investigating the collision, and they are keen to hear from anyone who has dashcam footage or witnessed the incident first hand.
Anyone with information or footage is asked to contact the Met's Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 020 8246 9820 or tweet @MetCC, quoting CAD 7373 of May 22.