Annie, 80, gets her gong for lifetime of service
A CHARITABLE churchgoer is celebrating after winning a prestigious award for her decades of help in the parish. Annie McGarry, 80, has helped out at St Edward the Confessor Roman Catholic Church in Golders Green for more than 55 years. During that time sh
A CHARITABLE churchgoer is celebrating after winning a prestigious award for her decades of help in the parish.
Annie McGarry, 80, has helped out at St Edward the Confessor Roman Catholic Church in Golders Green for more than 55 years.
During that time she has prepared refreshments at the Finchley Road church for thousands of parishioners and also spent time regularly visiting the elderly and infirm.
Now she has been honoured by the mayor of Barnet at the borough's Civic Awards ceremony, held on Wednesday last week (February 11).
Father John Helm, from St Edward the Confessor Church, was glad to see Ms McGarry honoured after so many years' service.
"She is a very good person who does a lot for people," he said.
- 1 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 2 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 5 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 9 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 10 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
"When she won, she did not want to go up and so we had to push her. She is very proud in her own quiet sort of way.
"People in the parish are very happy she has picked up this award."