Annie, 80, gets her gong for lifetime of service
A CHARITABLE churchgoer is celebrating after winning a prestigious award for her decades of help in the parish. Annie McGarry, 80, has helped out at St Edward the Confessor Roman Catholic Church in Golders Green for more than 55 years. During that time sh
A CHARITABLE churchgoer is celebrating after winning a prestigious award for her decades of help in the parish.
Annie McGarry, 80, has helped out at St Edward the Confessor Roman Catholic Church in Golders Green for more than 55 years.
During that time she has prepared refreshments at the Finchley Road church for thousands of parishioners and also spent time regularly visiting the elderly and infirm.
Now she has been honoured by the mayor of Barnet at the borough's Civic Awards ceremony, held on Wednesday last week (February 11).
You may also want to watch:
Father John Helm, from St Edward the Confessor Church, was glad to see Ms McGarry honoured after so many years' service.
"She is a very good person who does a lot for people," he said.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 5 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 8 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 9 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
"When she won, she did not want to go up and so we had to push her. She is very proud in her own quiet sort of way.
"People in the parish are very happy she has picked up this award."