Annie, 80, gets her gong for lifetime of service
A CHARITABLE churchgoer is celebrating after winning a prestigious award for her decades of help in the parish. Annie McGarry, 80, has helped out at St Edward the Confessor Roman Catholic Church in Golders Green for more than 55 years. During that time sh
A CHARITABLE churchgoer is celebrating after winning a prestigious award for her decades of help in the parish.
Annie McGarry, 80, has helped out at St Edward the Confessor Roman Catholic Church in Golders Green for more than 55 years.
During that time she has prepared refreshments at the Finchley Road church for thousands of parishioners and also spent time regularly visiting the elderly and infirm.
Now she has been honoured by the mayor of Barnet at the borough's Civic Awards ceremony, held on Wednesday last week (February 11).
You may also want to watch:
Father John Helm, from St Edward the Confessor Church, was glad to see Ms McGarry honoured after so many years' service.
"She is a very good person who does a lot for people," he said.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 5 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 6 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 10 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
"When she won, she did not want to go up and so we had to push her. She is very proud in her own quiet sort of way.
"People in the parish are very happy she has picked up this award."