Angie A releases unofficial Red Nose Day TOWIE anthem to put laughs back into Comic Relief
- Credit: Archant
Singer Angie A is aiming to put the laughs back into Comic Relief as she performs her own unofficial Red Nose Day anthem.
The soul and jazz songstress – who has been a contestant on Britain’s Got Talent and a backing singer for 90s chart-toppers Olive – has decided that One Direction’s official Red Nose Day single, One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks), is a little short on laughs.
So the singer, real name Angela Anuforo, has penned a tune that she hopes will rival One Direction’s Blondie adaptation.
Her creation, Essex Girl, is inspired by ITV reality show The Only Way Is Essex.
It features lines such as: “I’m so professional – don’t get jel, it’s what I do!”
You may also want to watch:
The 42-year-old, who lives in Great North Road, East Finchley, changed her stage name from Anjelai to Angie A on the advice of pop guru Simon Cowell.
She said: “The Only Way is Essex is my guilty pleasure. I am a little bit of a fan. I find it hilarious – the lingo and some of the characters.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 7 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
“I was sitting there watching it one time and this song just popped into my head, with words like Shut Uuuup! and Reem!, which means ‘I am looking hot!’.
“When people heard it, they said, ‘oh, it’s got mileage’. So I am putting it up as an unofficial Red Nose Day song.”
Angie A is hoping the tune will not only raise a few laughs but also £300.
“One Direction are putting out the official song but it’s got no humour – and it’s meant to be Comic Relief,” she said.
It is not the first time Angie A has thrown herself into a community cause.
During the Olympic Games last year, she organised her Bandstand Marathon in Maida Vale, which saw bands, singers, dancers and poets perform live.
Angie A is currently looking for sponsorship so she can make CDs of Essex Girl, which she will sell for £2 a time – with half going to Comic Relief – at her fundraiser and quiz night on Red Nose Day on Friday, March 15.
The highlight of the event, which is taking place at the Five Bells Flaming Grill pub in East End Road, East Finchley, will of course be Angie A performing the song.
She will also be singing outside Sainsbury’s in North Finchley next Thursday.
“I have been inspired by Lenny Henry in that we should entertain in order to raise funds,” she said.
“And I have a sense of humour. When I was little at school I wanted to be a comedian.”
The singer, who has already raised £62, said: “It’s so hard in this economic climate to feel positive. That’s why I want to do this.”
* To donate, visit: https://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/angiea