Anger over cancellation of external decorations programme
The news of the £198.5m for decent homes in Haringey is both very welcome and long overdue. However we are still concerned about aspects of routine housing work. We are angry that this year s £2.6m external decorations programme has been cancelled.
The news of the £198.5m for decent homes in Haringey is both very welcome and long overdue.
However we are still concerned about aspects of routine housing work. We are angry that this year's £2.6m external decorations programme has been cancelled.
External decorations is a key maintenance programme, and it includes the communal areas of blocks of flats, which have an intense usage. Haringey was already failing to meet its commitments on this under its tenancy agreements and the tenants' charter. The cancellation of this year's programme puts the council even further behind, and decoration, that should be done every five years, has slipped in many cases to only once every eight years.
Decent homes should include adequate decoration and decent communal areas. But as the £198.5m cannot be used for such routine work, can you please tell us when we can expect the borough to meet its tenancy agreement and tenants' charter commitments in this respect?
You may also want to watch:
Please respond in detail, and in accordance with the council's policy on replies to correspondence. I am copying this letter to the Chief Executive of Haringey Council.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 5 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 6 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
Haringey Defend Council Housing