Anger as concrete factory plans are put back on the table
RESIDENTS are gearing up again to fight plans for a dreaded concrete factory on their doorsteps. London Concrete recently submitted revised plans for a factory in Cranford Way, Hornsey, after the Planning Inspectorate overruled Haringey Council s rejectio
RESIDENTS are gearing up again to fight plans for a dreaded concrete factory on their doorsteps.
London Concrete recently submitted revised plans for a factory in Cranford Way, Hornsey, after the Planning Inspectorate overruled Haringey Council's rejection of the idea.
People are now afraid London Concrete will win the green light as it has lodged its plans over the summer holidays.
The pressure group Green N8 represents more than 1,500 households near the proposed plant. A spokeswoman said: "Putting an application in while the majority of people are away on holiday with their families demonstrates once again that London Concrete has little regard for our community.
You may also want to watch:
"Such action confirms people's mistrust based on their conduct elsewhere, and puts their commitment to safeguard both people and the environment here in great doubt."
Stroud Green councillor Ed Butcher said: "As local councillors, we will do our utmost to make sure that as many people are made aware of this application as possible."
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 10 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
Haringey Council rejected the application in October 2005 because of the impact it would have had on the community. Campaigners claimed it would bring noise, dust and dozens of lorries hurtling through the streets.
But the Planning Inspectorate overruled this in June 2006. It imposed 43 conditions on the construction company, which the new application appears to uphold. These include details on the external appearance of the plant and ways of limiting noise and dust, as well as new access routes for trucks.
Lynne Featherstone, MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, said: "People who are going to be affected should now have a right to scrutinise these new plans to make sure they conform 100 per cent to all the inspector's requirements.
"The views of local people were completely ignored when the original permission was finally granted. Now is the chance to give them some power back."
Public meetings are also being planned to involve local people, and Haringey Council has sent out consultation letters.
"Last week 369 letters were sent out to residents and local organisations immediately affected," said a spokesman.
"In the case of an application for approval of conditions, no external consultation is normally carried out as the scheme itself has already been approved.
"In this instance, the planning service made an exception. However, this is not a case where a Development Control Forum would be held. We will be asking independent consultants for their views as to whether the details submitted by London Concrete are satisfactory. This is in addition to our own scientific officer looking at these issues."
Feedback will go to the planning committee, which is due to draw up a report.