Andrew Dismore gives thumbs up to Camden Town station plans
- Credit: Archant
Improvement works to the station will bring an end to customers’ congestion woes
London Assembly member Andrew Dismore has welcomed news that Camden Town station will receive modernisation upgrades.
The station, which carries 80,000 users each day, will receive £120 million as part of London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s plans to “reorganise a flabby [Transport for London] TfL” and create a modern network.
A public consultation on the plans held earlier this year resulted in 95 per cent of respondents agreeing the station needed to upgrade its capacity.
Camden Town station has seen a 60 per cent increase in users over the past decade which has led to increased congestion made worse by having only two escalators and no step-free access.
By 2031, demand is expected to surge past what the station can handle by 7,000 in the mornings and 12,000 in the evenings.
TfL suggests customers could benefit from a new second entrance along with more space to change between trains.
- 1 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 4 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
- 5 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 6 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
- 7 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 8 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 9 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 10 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
The new entrance would lead include a ticket hall leading to three new escalators and two lifts as well as reduce the walking distance between the station and the north part of Camden Town.
Last week, Mayor Khan green lighted the plans along with similar works to improve Holborn station.
Member for Barnet and Camden Mr Dismore said: “I welcome the announcement from Mayor Khan that the proposed modernisation upgrades Camden Town and Holborn stations are to go ahead.
“I have been to see both stations and the plans for Camden Town are well advanced. The Holborn upgrade is essential too, and a long overdue project.
“Both stations are extremely busy, and unable to cope with passenger demand.
“I am sure the investment will help make the stations run more smoothly and safely and be a better experience for passengers.”
Further public consultations are expected on development over the station and the capacity upgrade next year before applying for an order to carry out the works.
A public inquiry will follow in 2018 before a government decision and commencement of the works in 2019 ahead of completion in 2013/4.