Amy Winehouse statue to be unveiled in Camden’s Stables Market
- Credit: Archant
A sculpture to commemorate the late musician Amy Winehouse will be unveiled in her “spiritual home” of Camden next month.
The specially-commissioned statue, designed and sculpted by Scott Eaton and cast in bronze, will be unveiled in the centre of Stables Market by Amy’s family and friends on her birthday (September 14).
The sculpture was planned to be located at Camden’s Roundhouse but the Winehouse family subsequently decided it should be positioned “at the centre of Camden’s everyday action”.
The Stables Market is currently being regenerated and as part of the “new era” the statue will be at its heart.
Mitch Winehouse said: “Amy was in love with Camden and it is the place her fans from all over the world associate her with.
You may also want to watch:
“The family have always been keen to have a memorial for her in the place she loved the most, which will provide fans a place to visit and attract people to the area.
“The Roundhouse would have been great as Amy and the Foundation have a great affinity with the venue, but it would not always have been accessible for fans, we wanted people to be able to see it, touch and interact.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
“Now Amy will oversee the comings and goings of her home town forever.”
The statue is funded by the Winehouse family and Camdenmarket.com, the parent company for the Stables Market in Camden Town.