Amy Winehouse statue to be unveiled in Camden’s Stables Market
- Credit: Archant
A sculpture to commemorate the late musician Amy Winehouse will be unveiled in her “spiritual home” of Camden next month.
The specially-commissioned statue, designed and sculpted by Scott Eaton and cast in bronze, will be unveiled in the centre of Stables Market by Amy’s family and friends on her birthday (September 14).
The sculpture was planned to be located at Camden’s Roundhouse but the Winehouse family subsequently decided it should be positioned “at the centre of Camden’s everyday action”.
The Stables Market is currently being regenerated and as part of the “new era” the statue will be at its heart.
Mitch Winehouse said: “Amy was in love with Camden and it is the place her fans from all over the world associate her with.
You may also want to watch:
“The family have always been keen to have a memorial for her in the place she loved the most, which will provide fans a place to visit and attract people to the area.
“The Roundhouse would have been great as Amy and the Foundation have a great affinity with the venue, but it would not always have been accessible for fans, we wanted people to be able to see it, touch and interact.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
“Now Amy will oversee the comings and goings of her home town forever.”
The statue is funded by the Winehouse family and Camdenmarket.com, the parent company for the Stables Market in Camden Town.