Amy Winehouse statue to be unveiled in Camden’s Stables Market
- Credit: Archant
A sculpture to commemorate the late musician Amy Winehouse will be unveiled in her “spiritual home” of Camden next month.
The specially-commissioned statue, designed and sculpted by Scott Eaton and cast in bronze, will be unveiled in the centre of Stables Market by Amy’s family and friends on her birthday (September 14).
The sculpture was planned to be located at Camden’s Roundhouse but the Winehouse family subsequently decided it should be positioned “at the centre of Camden’s everyday action”.
The Stables Market is currently being regenerated and as part of the “new era” the statue will be at its heart.
Mitch Winehouse said: “Amy was in love with Camden and it is the place her fans from all over the world associate her with.
You may also want to watch:
“The family have always been keen to have a memorial for her in the place she loved the most, which will provide fans a place to visit and attract people to the area.
“The Roundhouse would have been great as Amy and the Foundation have a great affinity with the venue, but it would not always have been accessible for fans, we wanted people to be able to see it, touch and interact.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 9 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 10 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
“Now Amy will oversee the comings and goings of her home town forever.”
The statue is funded by the Winehouse family and Camdenmarket.com, the parent company for the Stables Market in Camden Town.