Amy Winehouse death: Tribute from Hawley Arms pub, Camden
Amy Winehouse’s local pub in Camden, north London, has paid tribute to the singer who was found dead in her nearby home on Saturday.
In a statement the owners of the Hawley Arms pub said: “We are shocked and deeply saddened by the news of Amy’s death. Apart from her extraordinary musical talent, she was a special person with a good soul and this should not have happened.
“We feel privileged to have known her and we will sorely miss her.”
In October last year 27-year-old Winehouse put on a surprise performance during a monthly charity night at the pub.
In her first full performance in two years, she performed six songs including new material.
You may also want to watch:
At the time she was working on songs for the follow-up to her 2006 album Back To Black.
Others to pay tribute to Winehouse include her producer collaborator Mark Ronson.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 3 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 9 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
He said: “She was my musical soulmate and like a sister to me. This is one of the saddest days of my life.”
Sylvia Young, of Sylvia Young Theatre School in London, which Winehouse attended, said: “We thought she would do very well in the musical field.
“Certainly she was a wild spirit. She was her own person, she would follow what she wanted to do, there was no question about that.”
The troubled star was dogged by drink and drugs problems during her career, but police have urged people not to speculate on whether one of these caused her death.
Did you know Amy Winehouse in Camden? Did you see her around the local area? Add your comments or tributes below.