Ally Pally lawsuit in the pipeline
Concern is mounting that a millionaire property developer plans to sue Haringey Council after his attempt to turn Alexandra Palace into a hotel and leisure complex failed. Firoz Kassam is believed to be seeking compensation over the handling of the deal.
Concern is mounting that a millionaire property developer plans to sue Haringey Council after his attempt to turn Alexandra Palace into a hotel and leisure complex failed.
Firoz Kassam is believed to be seeking compensation over the handling of the deal.
Mr Kassam had planned to take over the 125-year lease of Alexandra Palace through his company Firoka and develop it into a 150-bed hotel complex with bars, an ice rink and casino.
But the High Court ruled a year ago this week that the public consultation into the process was "fatally flawed" because the terms of the deal between Firoka and the Alexandra Palace and Charitable Trust - which runs the site for the council, had not been made public. In January he was forced to move out of the building and he later withdrew from all negotiations, citing the trust's slow progress over its plans for a second consultation process.
You may also want to watch:
Although Haringey Council has said that no legal action has been launched, the Broadway understands that Kassam's lawyers have been in regular contact with the trust and that the most recent letter, which was sent in August, indicated that he planned to sue.
A spokeswoman for Firoka said that she was unable to comment and that Mr Kassam was out of the country. A spokesperson for Haringey Council has also said that no legal action has commenced.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more