Ally Pally ice rink re-opens with special gala
You could win a pair of tickets to the event which will see the famous ice-rink reopened to members of public
THE ever-popular ice rink at Alexandra Palace is set to re-open with a special gala launch following a �2.3million, nine-month refurbishment.
The rink was closed last May and originally set to reopen in October, but engineers discovered deep layers of permafrost at the site and were forced to extend the refurbishment process by more than three months.
To celebrate the return of the rink, which attracts more than 170,000 skaters a year and is used by celebrities training for ITV show Dancing on Ice, a gala launch will take place next Friday, January 21, with local clubs and skating stars taking part in a show, before the public take to the ice.
One of the main advantages of the refurbishment is that the rink can now be used for competitive standard skating and so the opening weekend is focused on showing local skating talent.
You may also want to watch:
Dancing on Ice professionals Susie and Andrei Lipanov will take a break from their training schedules to perform at the show, alongside synchronised skating champions Team Aura.
The Haringey Ice Hockey Junior Team will mark their return to skating at the palace with a special demonstration of the skills they practise weekly at the rink. The grand finale will be skated by the Palace Foundations, a team formed by the rink’s in-house coach Becky Smith in September, who have already performed at the opening of Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
The rink will then be opened to the public and will continue to be available for the rest of the weekend.
Managing Director of the Alexandra Palace Trading Limited, Rebecca Kane, said: “We are delighted that after nine months and much anticipation, we are reopening the ice rink, which we know has been missed by our skaters.
“We look forward to seeing you all for the opening weekend, when you can pull on a pair of skates and try out the new ice.”
Local ward councillor Nigel Scott welcomed the reopening of the rink, saying: “We’re very pleased – it’s much-loved and well-used. It generates a significant amount of turnover and profit for the palace, so it’s a very important part of the process of making the palace viable.”
Doors open at 6.30pm and the show starts at 7pm, with public skating starting at 8pm. Tickets, including skating and skate hire, are �5 and can be purchased by calling 020-8365 4386 or going to www.alexandrapalace.com/whats-on/ice-rink.
To win one of five pairs of free tickets to the event, answer this question.
How much did the refurbishment of the ice rink cost?
A: �2.6 million
B: �2.3 million
C: �2.9 million
Email your answers to charlotte.Johnson@alexandrapalace.com by NEXT WEDNESDAY. Remember to include your name, address and a daytime telephone number.